Sunday, February 10, 2008

Unlearning the Myths That Blind Us

Unlearning the Myths That Blind Us written by Linda Christensen

Was everything I was exposed to as a child a part of socialization? All of the leading lady I adored in the movies I used to watch as a child no longer seem to be so great. My favorite movies no longer seem exciting. Before reading this piece I had never though about the messages of socialization children have been receiving for decades. The more I think about the article the more I analyze the movies and media I was exposed to as a child. How are corporations such as Disney able to get away with sending such issues to young children?
I found it interesting that Kenya and Sabrina “wanted the race of the actors changed but they didn’t challenge the class or underlying gender inequalities that also characterize the lives of Cinderella, Ariel the Mermaid, and Snow White.”

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

I can see this made you think!! Say more. What do you make of that last quote you included rom the text?

LB :)